wine alley govan

wine alley govan

Water was always roasting hot and bath was very deep used to spend hours in it; and who can forget the carbolic soap!!! Govan railway station opened on 2 December 1868. However, in 1989 the same area was one of the most crime-ridden and deprived in Scotland. Reading the posts recognised a few names. At the time, it was the fifth largest burgh in Scotland and contained within its boundaries, the areas of Plantation, Cessnock, Ibrox, Craigton and Drumoyne. Wine Alley feels very European and I love it! I didn't open my mouth, I was sure I was going to jail. Does anyone remember the shop or have a picture of it in the background? Bought my sweets from The Modern Book Shop and Woolworths. No1seems2care. Govan Old Parish Church was rebuilt in 1762, 1826, and again 1884-1888. From Rushden we came back to Larbert, then to Lauder. I lived my early years in Govan on Vicarfield Street opposite St. Gerard's School where many of my older cousins attended, amongst them the McCurrys. It was incorporated into the City of Glasgow in 1912.[5]. 178 9 shares Like Most relevant Denise Mcdonald Many happy memories there in the late 80s and early 90s . It never surfaced again until Lil Feeney came looking for me (who I had known from Govan Initiative) and asked me if I would be interested in helping to write a Report on poverty and deprivation (along with herself and Brian) inspired by Darners book on the same theme. contact the editor here. We moved to Cardonald when I was very small but used to go back to Govan all the time and stay with my grannie at 711 Govan Road, above McLarens Newsagents. I stayed all over Govan, I was born in the Southern General in 1961 and was brought home to Neptune St then I stayed in Govan Rd, Broomloan Rd and Carmichael St. Bishop King. Although we were all poor, I knew that I could go to any door, ask for a piece, and get it. [6] Govan is believed to have then been part of a kingdom ruled from Dumbarton Rock, known as Alt Clut, the rock on the Clyde. Contact. Many memories but top must be winning Whitefield Cup with Under 13s against Lourdes in 1962 by 7-6. I was born in 23 McGregor Street Teucharhill in 1962 and remember my mum waiting until the last minute and getting a lift to the polling station, promising to vote for whichever party candidate provided the transport (aye right) still though when the 70s arrived I would have voted for the blonde wummin shouting through a megaphone at the end of the street even though I'd no idea what she was on about or what party she represented, she was a bit of a belter called Margo MacDonald. [31] GEC's Marconi Marine division already owned YSL (purchased in 1985) and VSEL (purchased in 1995). 8/1. [15], With Morris Pollok as its first Provost, the Burgh and its Commissioners ensured that during the next 48 years Govan became a well-equipped, modern town. During the Viking Age, following the sack of Dumbarton Rock in 870, Govan is believed to have been one of the major centres of the Kingdom of Strathclyde. Curtis Govan, 23, was convicted in July of rape, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, aggravated indecent assault, terroristic threats, unlawful restraint, simple assault, resisting arrest,. The Old Govan Fair. The scheme was codenamed Operation Buckfast after a brand of tonic wine popular in the area. The wine in the Wine Alley nickname was not expensive red and whites like Beaujolais and merlot. I agreed and the result is the Report, which you now have today which is meant for the October 17th World Poverty Day. They suggested that the hill may have been a 12th-century Norman motte. For Margaret Gibson - I saw that you lived in Kintra Street until 1960 and wondered if you knew my grandmother Mary McGill/Johnston who lived at 110 Kintra Street in 1956. 100m D.C Hair&Beauty . I stayed in Govan in the early 60's first in a tenement at 118 Govan Road, we stayed in the top storey mum, dad, me, my sister, and baby brother. He said: "So I had a house and I had a supply, because I knew someone who could get me smack. Glasgow Braendam Link, Pearce Institute, 840 Govan Road, Govan, Glasgow, G51 3UU Living Dangerously in Govan by James McDonald. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. "[13], By the early part of the 19th century, Govan was rapidly losing its rural appearance and assuming the character of a town with the development of new industries and factories, including Reid's Dye Works and Pollok's Silk Mill. I went to Hills Trust primary and can remember having to sit my 11 plus exam and passed by the skin of my teeth (lots of mental arithmetic). As for our childhood and growing up in Govan we would never change a thing, there was everything in Govan any child wanted and we never ever suffered from boredom after school, we were outside playing peever, rounders, climbing dykes, swimming at the pool and rolling our Easter eggs down the hill at Bellahouston Park. Does anyone remember my dad Iain Campbell and mother Margaret Marshall born 1921 and 1922? Does anyone remember Reid the baker who was in Neptune Street around about the 1950s? [11], By the 16th century, extensive coal mine workings had been developed around Craigton and Drumoyne. We all loved living there as Govan was such a great place and had everything you needed, especially four cinemas. At the time DS Jackson said: These two cops were the real heroes and were at high risk. Alley & Vine will be ready for outdoor and indoor dining once allowed, but until then, customers can order online or by phone for takeout and curbside pickup. Zabudli ste daje na prstup k tu? So, at the age of 46 I started three years of studies with projects that involved Govan Initiative and Glasgow University until I was finally accepted as a full-time student at Glasgow. There is a story By Danny Cahley born In 57 Hamilton Street, Govan it was renamed Nethan Street if I remember correctly. Pagini similare. Wine Quality 4/4. He liked nothing better than tothrow empty drugs packets out of his window and watch a crowd of desperateaddicts scrambling for them. I grew up in Govan from 1946 to 1957 in Wick St. My family moved from North Uist to Govan to find work as did many others. Situated south of the River Clyde and part of the former Burgh of Govan, it was colloquially referred to as 'Wine Alley' during the mid-to-late 20th century when a housing scheme with a rough reputation was sited there. The Bookies, Archie and Peter Logan ran their Book from the back court. We loved the years living there and in 1949, our little sister was born at 22 Shaw St., That same year we moved to Penilee, but when my sister and I were seventeen, our parents moved back to Govan because the house in Penilee was very damp, so our parents got an exchange to a house on Govan Rd., the cooperative building next to Fairfield's shipyard. Finalists in the Intermediate Cup 1929-30, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Moorepark,_Glasgow&oldid=1142353497, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 1 March 2023, at 23:16. Daddy Boyd who used to wear his academic gowns on official occasions which I to this day found hard to understand as none of the other teachers ever wore them. Again, where were the democratic, caring authorities when the 1987-1990 Glasgow Housing Condition Survey found that in a third of the citys houses suffered from condensation, dampness and mould and did little about it? James and Catherine moved to Govan from Ireland and lived on Victoria (Neptune) Street and Langlands Road. My paternal grandfather was an engine keeper for the Phoenix Copper Works, and lived on Brighton Street. Many members of the family were married at St Anthonys Chapel. He also procured a contract with the Royal Navy to produce vessels, notably the Jackal, the Lizard, and the Bloodhound. J. N. REILLY There is a war on. Both my parents went to Greenfield School then Govan High. By the early 80s, much of the place had acquired an air of dilapidation and neglect. Lived there all the way through the 70's until we moved to Cardonald in 1980. We went back to Govan until we could get passage, and I attended Bellahouston Academy. Mum married and moved to Whiteinch as a child and I remember going across on the ferry to Govan, Anyone recall my mum? My Aunt Marg and Cousin Debbie still live in Govan. Hi there, just wondering if anyone has any info or stories on the Slaters, Mckechnies or Hutchisons, hope to hear back. 11/2. See more of Sunny Govan Memories on Facebook. Their children's names were John, Michael, Christopher, Bridget and Edward. First, if the government are to tackle inequality and the centring of disadvantaged groups, then they will have to understand that it is the housing system itself that creates it. Historically it was part of the County of Lanark. Such developments benefit the aesthetic and connective appeal of the Govan area for future visitors. [12], There is an oddity whereby part of eighteenth-century parish of Govan (which was in Lanarkshire) is counted as being within Renfrewshire. In Cowie Street, Kinning Park there was a pub at the corner but can't remember what it was called? I remember a chemist called Brays on Govan Rd. I have been looking up my family history and her father Michael and all his brothers and sisters were born in Govan between 1884 and 1896. Again, as in the cast of the Gorbals, little was done to remedy the situation until the individual agencies within the local communities combined their power to get something done. Almost went to St Anthony's primary. I was born in Govan in 1930 and went to Saint Constantine's Elementary School and then on to Saint Gerard's in 1941, I was at St Gerard's until 1946. : Gwovan[3]? Once the area had gained a bad reputation (through no fault of its own), this was picked up by Govans local newspaper, The Govan Press, who furthered the image in a relentlessly aggressive campaign against the inhabitants until even the authorities began to believe it too. The Govan ferry was something special for us to go on, either by ourselves or with our mum. People lived with the inconsistency in the records. Only neighbours I remember were children Mary and her younger brother James Haggerty who lived in same close which I think was 95 Golspie Street. It is now an industrial estate. He was able to give police precise details of the drug operation Burnside was running and the names of his associates. I might have served you in the shop in the early 70s as a teenager. Houses are places to live in, either for one person or several. I remember one time, my big brother hiding in the midden under all the ashes, when I went down three stories to empty the fire ashes. There, two local cops came up with the idea of using several of the houses to keep a 24-hour watch on the gang. Does anyone remember going out the back courts and jumping over them? It was later in 1974 that she began her Stairhead Seminars in the so-called "Wine Alley" area of Govan which led, in 1976, to the Govan Project. Built in the early 1930s by the 1970s the Wine Ally had developed a fearsome reputation, the council \"modernised\" it and tried to reintroduce the original name Moorepark but after 40 years of being the Wine Alley most people forgot about or even knew that the Wine Ally was originally called Moorepark and did not approve of the name Moorepark and continued to call it Wine Alley. Two associated Christian burials are radiocarbon dated to the 5th or 6th centuries, making Govan the earliest known Christian site in the region. Now her daughter (my mother) is 92 years old and I am fascinated by the stories which her mother passed down to her and now to me. Got in with the wrong crowd in Wine Alley,Govan, Glasgow,(Rab C Nesbitt Country) usual stuff to start with theft,housebreakings(Burglary to those from England), theft of and from motor vehicles, local gang wars etc, then got into some serious crime such as armed robbery, Gun running between Stranraer to Belfast, serious assaults(GBH), . Skater Girl. I was a deckhand on the TSS Shleldhall sewage ship that sailed down the Clyde every day Monday to Friday to the tail of the bank, there we discharged the load then made a circle before heading back up home. I learned then that Govan as I knew it had obviously changed (the three picture houses were gone) but was still a thriving community. We lived in a low-down coal-fire heated home at 9 Lettoch Street and we only ever moved once and that was to the house directly above us. Sad to see Govan now but many happy memories. Govan (/vn/ GUV-n; Cumbric? It arrived at a house in Liverpool and then left a short time later to head back to Glasgow, arriving about midnight. JEFF TORRINGTON Singing: No, No, Yuppie, Yuppie NO! I went to Broomloan Rd nursery then the school. It was very hard during the war for our mother as our brother was three years older and our father was a shipyard worker, working nightshift. It was absolutely awesome growing up in Govan, lots of shops, such as; Galbraiths, Dands Bobby's, David's butchers, BrotherSoft paper shop, modern book shop, and Woolworths, we had a great wee doctors surgery on Langlands Road, Peacocks bakery, Nicholls store and Amey's cafe. A list of almost 3000 ships built at Govan has been collected in the "Clydebuilt Database". Housing Estate (Modern) Site Name Glasgow, Govan, Moorepark Housing Estate. Community organisation. I was born in 1950 and brought up in Govan in the Moorepark housing estate or the Wine Alley, as it was commonly known. Jackson had only just taken charge of the CID at Govan, having left his post as head of Strathclyde Polices serious crime squad. [31], In 1999, GEC's Marconi Marine division purchased the yard when Kvrner announced its departure from the shipbuilding industry. That suggested that the suspect was taking the van south to Manchester or Liverpool to pick up much larger drug consignments. We lived in Linthouse at that time, and then we moved to Shaw Street in Govan. They were both always on a mission to land a. Members of our family have now moved away to other locations in Glasgow and Paisley, but we still remember our childhoods growing up in Govan. My husband and I ended up going into the USA. Gallery. We engraved pet medallions and Jackie let me do it because I had nice handwriting. Napier's Shipyard in Govan was later acquired by William Beardmore and Company in 1876 and incorporated into William Beardmore and Company in around 1900. I went to Govan High school and Fairfield Primary school, I worked at MacDonalds biscuit factory then went to Toronto with my husband Dan Slavin, I miss my wee town, it will not be same anymore. I was born at 17 Holmfaulhead Drive, Linthouse in 1947 and went to Elderpark School. They also told police that the same man would rent out a larger car about once a month. Hullo! Clydebuilt Database - Shipping Times, Stuart Cameron. Show More . ', "1881 England Census, The London Charterhouse, St Sepulchre Without, London, p.6 RG11/344", "University of Glasgow:: Story:: Biography of Jimmy Reid", "Aircraft and Shipbuilding Industries Act 1977 (c. 3) Schedule 2 Shipbuilding Industry", Govan Maps 1857-1934, National Library of Scotland, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Govan&oldid=1127691800, Wikipedia articles incorporating a citation from the 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica with Wikisource reference, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles containing Scottish Gaelic-language text, Articles with MusicBrainz area identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 16 December 2022, at 03:51. Vytvori nov et. He said be a good girl, I don't want to see you when you're 17 causing problems. Best people you could meet. The partnership works by: Much later, after years of drink and drugs abuse, I thought about all the time I had wasted and I realised that if I was going to seriously change my life than I had to reeducate myself into a new way of thinking Anyone know the Maguire family from Logie Street and 147 Langlands Road? Lesbian actress Raven-Symone showed off her high top fade and her unique backpack at the Los Angeles Premiere of Fox's 'Empire at ArcLight Cinemas Cinerama Dome in Hollywood, California. But. [32][33] The shipbuilding operations became BAE Systems Marine, which subsequently became part of BVT Surface Fleet, a naval shipbuilding joint venture between BAE Systems and VT Group, which became BAE Systems Surface Ships in 2009. Govan borders the district of Ibrox, home to the Scottish football club Rangers F.C. Govan (/ v n / GUV-n; Scottish Gaelic: Baile a' Ghobhainn) is a district, parish, and former burgh now part of south-west City of Glasgow, Scotland.It is situated 2.5 miles (4.0 km) west of Glasgow city centre, on the south bank of the River Clyde, opposite the mouth of the River Kelvin and the district of Partick.Historically it was In 1996, a team from Channel 4's Time Team programme carried out an archeological excavation at the site. We went this year to the Fairfield shipyard museum which was very interesting. George and Mary Breslin's, 2 boys (Raymond and Michael), William & Margaret Gallagher's boy and girl (Charles and Maureen) and John & Annie Mc Culloch's 2 girls and 1 boy ( Elizabeth, Mary and John) which was us. NGR NS 55416 65081. Community planning began in the rapidly industrialising 19th century cities of Great Britain and America where reformers and well-wishers wanted to ameliorate the appalling living conditions of the working classes. Govan has had several local newspapers over the years such as the Govan Chronicle and Govan Press published by the Cossar Family (1851-1983) and by John Maclean (20062014) which also served the communities of Kinning Park, Cardonald, Penilee and Hillington, and the Govan Post (19831988) published by Cook, Paton & Co. of Paisley, now part of Dunfermline Press. 6 I was shown the door and advised to join the cubs, which I did, but I would have enjoyed being the 1st Lifebhoy. The following year, Fairfields and the other major Clydeside yards (Stephens, Connels, Yarrows and John Browns) were merged to form Upper Clyde Shipbuilders (UCS). Went back to show someone the building, but it was gone. I can see from the various pieces of information I have obtained that the Leddy's lived in various places in Govan including 61 Victoria Street, 10 John Street, 76 White Street and 11 Logie Street. Acumfaegovan born and brought up on Langlands Road with my sisters Susan and Elaine Wilson by my wonderful parents Vera and Bill Wilson. The church, situated at the west end of the village of Govan, and about 100 yards from the Clyde, was built in 1826, and is a plain structure containing 1096 sittings: the . Old Photographs Govan Glasgow Scotland tourscotland 31K subscribers 111 27K views 5 years ago Tour Scotland wee video of old photographs of Govan, Glasgow, on the south bank of the River Clyde,. [8] Govan is Baile a' Ghobhainn (the smith's town) in Scottish Gaelic. Of all the memories that I hold dear as a very young boy, was the guy pushing a barrow every Saturday afternoon selling bags of whelks! The police discovered an empty flat on the eighth floor which would give them a birds eye view of the entrance to Burnsides tenement flat close. Would love to hear if anyone remembers the Wallace family! The Moorepark area is served by Ibrox subway station on the Glasgow Subway system,[15] which is located on the corner of Copland Road and Woodville Street. Thanks in advance :). He wanted to discover how and why such places came into being and to see if remedies could be found. 3.75/4 3.75 / 4 (0 reviews) Staff Knowledge & Friendliness 4/4. Maureen Doyle was my name then. Later that year Burnside was handed a 12-year prison sentence at the High Court in Glasgow following an 18-day trial, while his three associates got terms of between five and seven years. I remember Betty McPhee, Margaret Liversidge, the Gourlay brothers and Brian Wilson.We lived in the top floor for a few years and the moved to bigger flat on first floor with a bathroom. Value 3/4 . Very happy days. The people of Govan didn't often use a vet, but came into the shop with their poorly pets and we all fussed over them, cuddled them, nursed them and Jackie recommended and administered patent pet medicines like Bob Martins. Fond memories include falling in the Elder Park pond and breaking my collar bone, trying to do the fish and chips, building gang huts in the air-raid shelters and raking the middens. When the railway was to be built in the late nineteenth century, however, the confusion over proper descriptions in the land titles made necessary legal transactions difficult and had to be reconciled. My father "served his time" in the Thermotank then for many years was a policeman in Plantation Street. That is why this Reflection will critically examine the Moorepark experience (within the context of community planning) from before Darners time to the 1970s and the present, where it will question if there have been any real changes in attitudes between then and today or worse, are the same mistakes being repeated, and is proven good work being ignored? The church of Govan was a prebend of Glasgow. He was lim, dark-haired and kind, probably in his 30s. I remember my mum and dad and telling me how Govan was full of works, tenements, shops and pubs and how it was a vibrant place, this was very different from 1970s Govan that I grew up in, instead it was like a town after the blitz, I remember large areas of spare ground where the tenements and shops once stood, I remember playing in the old derelict tenements and works and in the rubble of demolished tenements, in the old tenements in Orkney Street we pretended to pour pints in the old Albert Bar. They expect 20 calls a week from officers needing help. For other uses, see. Run by a tall slim guy whose son was a racing cyclist ? I met him at our place of employment. Sergeant Angus McIvor and constable Bob McDonald were the two cops who had bravely filmed the gang operating from one of the empty flats. Another trick was to get a queue lined up outside his house but to serve only half of them and tell the others to come back later. In the Wine Alley, I loved the people more than anything. Saturday afternoons were for the matinees at one of the four movie halls; Lyceum, Plaza, Elder and Vogue. He also allowed naval officers in training to visit the shipyard to familiarise themselves with the new vessels. . Nothing but grateful for my early Govan years. You Wine Alley Govan Team were shite begs. MATT McGINN (1928-1977) A for a Pub Hoose Licence. There was no point in carrying out any raids because the dealers could quickly escape and dispose of their drugs. Went to Drumoyne primary then Govan High. [7] It is now kept inside the church, as part of the Govan Stones museum collection. Servicii comunitare. I learned to play tennis in the Elder Park which stood by me for I played the game for the next 60 years wherever I landed. I have many happy memories of Govan. I have lived in Australia since 1969. So, has Glasgow and other cities always been in the hands of comprehensive planners who take an overview of all the parties involved? For instance, leaky, crumbling roofs were never repaired during the improvements nor were rotten, draught-causing window frames replaced while the backcourt midden arrangements remained as inadequate as ever. They were friendly and knowledgable, it was a great experience. Providing activities for member children and young people Providing informal and formal training for family members As for Billie Cameron, she now lives in Montreal, her sister Isa was a war bride and came to Canada in 1948 to be with her Canadian husband and lives north of Toronto in Collingwood. I almost joined Majorettes but I had no coordination so no chance of being Govan Queen either that year. Reply. Most of it has now been demolished to make way for an industrial estate. One of his best customers was a former police officer who had been thrown out the force due to his heroin addiction. Socialites Karrueche Tran, left, and Christina Milian attend the Los Angeles premiere of Fox's 'Empire' at ArcLight Cinemas Cinerama Dome on January 6, 2015 in Hollywood, California. One flat was chosen in Wine Alley and a second across the road in a collection of tower blocks called Iona Court. Loving your stories, my nana was born at 15 Elder Street, Govan in 1893. Many of the latter were too poor, ignorant and disorganised to remedy the situation themselves, and so the earliest community planners or social agencies necessarily undertook the first initiatives for planning and providing for people. Our young sister was married in St. Anthony's years later. Sometimes it was hillarious, waiting in the queue to get onto that seat, and having to use The News of The World as toilet paper.wow! I attended Harmony Row School and Hills Trust Primary.

At Captain's Mast, What Discipline Measure Cannot Be Awarded, Articles W

wild health test resultsWhatsApp Us