isaiah 49:13 commentary

isaiah 49:13 commentary

Even by the springs of water He will guide them. Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary - Isaiah 49:13-17 The scope of these verses is to show that the return of the people of God out of their captivity, and the eternal redemption to be wrought out by Christ (of which that was a type), would be great occasions of joy to the church and great proofs of the tender care God has of the church. In Isaiah 42:3, the servant is described as "a bruised reed" and . In Isaiah 49:4 the prophet-Servant complains to Yahweh, "I have labored in vain, I have spent my strength ( koa) for nothing and vanity; yet surely my cause ( mispa) is with the LORD, and my reward with my God." In contrast to this self-evaluation, Yahweh is much more positive in his assessment of his Servant. Moreover, that believers may not faint under the weight of distresses, before promising to them consolation from God, he exhorts them calmly to bear distresses; for by the word poor he means that the Church, in this world, is liable to many calamities. Article Images Copyright 2023 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. All these gather together and come to you. i. 2 And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he hid me; But how shall we sing the Lord's songs in a strange land?" The Father is the Lord, the Redeemer, and Holy One of Israel, as sending the Son to be the Redeemer. i. Jesus set the demon possessed free from the bondage of chains and demonic torture (Mark 5:1-15). And they that had carried us away captive said, 'Sing us one of your songs.' And give You as a covenant to the people: Jesus, the Messiah, doesnt merely bring a covenant; He is a covenant to the people. W E Vine writes that Isaiah 49:9-13 "give one of the most glorious descriptions of the effects of Christ's Second Advent. Weak believers, in their despondency, are ready to say, "God has forsaken his church and forgotten the sorrows of his people." The pictures of eating their own flesh and drinking their own blood draw on the horrors of siege conditions. When we consider what and who the Lord Jesus had to work with on this earth, we certainly must believe that one of the great temptations He faced was discouragement. You are free to opt out any time or opt in for other cookies to get a better experience. Due to security reasons we are not able to show or modify cookies from other domains. Though he exhorts and encourages all the godly to thanksgiving, yet he likewise aims at confirming the promise which might have been regarded as doubtful; for afflictions trouble our consciences, and cause them to waver in such a manner that it is not so easy to rest firmly on the promises of God. And your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.. Away therefore with these distrusts and jealousies, which are the bane of friendship. In His quiver He has hidden Me.. He declares that the Lord has sovereignly chosen him and called him to be his servant (verse 1b). b. And in this Israel is the true name expressed. 2 Hope on the Horizon Throughout Isaiah there are intense messages of hope amid all the tribulations and failures. The Messiah declares His mission. What Does It Mean That There Is No One Holy Like God? And the land of your destruction, But they will not. . He made me like a sharp arrow Jesus sets those in bondage to sin and the law free (John 8:33-36, Galatians 3:22-23). The book of Isaiah contains 66 chapters divided into 39, and 27 the same way the Old and New Testament is divided. But he still loves them and has the power to save them. In the shadow of His hand He has hidden Me, The Lord has called Me from the womb; From the matrix of My mother He has made mention of My name. To restore the earth, God is saying, "I'll fight with those that fight with you." The Servant is God's agent to do God's work in the world. We may request cookies to be set on your device. 13 Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted. The reason of all this is. This is a great way to read Andrew's notes on a mobile device or computer. i. Yet surely my just reward is with the LORD, The triumphs of the church, after her troubles, will in due time put the matter out of question. Be assured, [1.] If the tokens of his wonderful power are to be seen everywhere, he intends that there shall be an eminent and remarkable example of it in the salvation of the Church. (Alan Redpath) A. What will the Messiah do for the Gentiles? He was a "Jewish prophet who lived during the eighth century BC." Isaiah's words were written more than 700 years before the birth of Christ. Who is speaking? Sing, O heavens - In view of the glorious truths stated in the previous verses, that kings should rise up, and princes worship; that the Messiah would be for a light to the Gentiles, and that the true religion would be extended to each of the four quarters of the globe. His charge to us every day is to look at him and "see.". Let there be joy in heaven, and let the angels of God celebrate the praises of the great Redeemer; let the earth and the mountains, particularly the great ones of the earth, be joyful, and break forth into singing, for the earnest expectation of the creature that waits for the glorious liberty of the children of God (Romans 8:19; Romans 8:21) shall now be abundantly answered. Because they do not have the economic base to afford the worldwide inflation that has ensued from the increased oil prices. Surely they may forget, and break forth into singing, O mountains; such as are in high office either in the state, as Christian kings and princes, Isaiah 49:23 or in the church, as prophets and apostles, Revelation 18:20. That's where it all comes from.Now the byproducts of the oil, the fertilizers and the chemical fertilizers that help grow the crops have become so expensive that your food bill has gone up tremendously. So long as they are oppressed by fear or anxiety, or grief, they scarcely accept of any consolation; and therefore they need to be confirmed in various ways. But God responds that He has a glorious plan for His Servant. Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, Keil and Delitzsch Biblical Commentary on the Old Testament. Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, For thy waste and thy desolate places, and the land of thy destruction, shall even now be too narrow by reason of the inhabitants, and they that swallowed thee up shall be far away. 49:14-16. The servant was to be a light to the nations, making it possible for non-Jews who had been in darkness because of being without the knowledge of God and his promises to be forgiven of their sins and to cease being in a state of alienation from him. This one "despised and abhorred by a nation" (v. 7) is thus the same person as the servant in Isaiah 53, who is likewise described as "despised" and rejected (53:3). 1-2, Servant to the Nations: His Call 49:1 Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye peoples, from far;--As often in Isaiah, "people" is plural, referring to the world's many ethnic . Isaiah concluded by calling on the whole created universe to rejoice because the Lord had comforted His people (cf. Kings shall see and arise, You are My servant, O Israel: Since the rest of the context of this chapter indicates that this passage speaks of the Messiah, it is best to regard Israel as a reference to the Messiah. 1 Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The Lord hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name. Chapters 49 to 51 contain especially strong messages of encouragement and hope. Isaiah 49:14-26 God Will Remember Jerusalem. c. Your walls are continually before Me: The walls refer to the walls of the city of Jerusalem, which figuratively speak of the health, the strength, the prosperity, and the security of Gods people. Before my mother gave birth, he used my name to speak to me. For instance, in the lectionary text for today, Isaiah 42:1-9, we for the first time encounter the image of the (suffering) servant of God that serves as a wonderful example of the meaning-making nature of the prophetic task (see also Isaiah 49:1-13; 50:4-11; 52:13-53:12). ", Isaiah began this pericope by clarifying the calling and ministry of the Servant. As I live, saith the LORD, thou shalt surely clothe thee with them all, as with an ornament, and bind them on thee, as a bride doeth. Then shalt thou say in thine heart, Who hath begotten me these, seeing I have lost my children, and am desolate, a captive, and removing to and fro? ", You remember in Psalms 137:1-9 is the psalm of Babylonian captivity, "When we were in Babylon by the rivers we sat down. Yet He triumphed over such temptation by declaring, my just reward is with the LORD. If you refuse cookies we will remove all set cookies in our domain. This text has usually been made to serve as proof of the legitimacy of the church state (or state church); however, the prophet does not have the Church in mind here, but future Israel. (Bultema), ii. Jesus set the sick and diseased free from the bondage of their infirmities (Luke 13:16). This does not allude to the foolish art of palmistry, which imagines every man's fate to be engraved in the palms of his hands and to be legible in the lines there, but to the custom of those who tie a string upon their hands or fingers to put them in mind of things which they are afraid they shall forget, or to the wearing of signet or locket-rings in remembrance of some dear friend. The best commentaries on Isaiah ranked by scholars and reviewers: (1) Oswalt, John N. in NICOT, (2) Webb, Barry G. in BST, (3) Motyer, J. Alec . The work of God's Servant v1 Listen to me, you foreign nations. But Zion said, The LORD has forsaken me: In the midst of this great praise for the Messiah and His saving work, Zion speaking of the highest hill in Jerusalem, and the place of Gods people by association Zion objects. are without the yod or the conjunction vau before the verb: and so the Septuagint, Syriac, and Vulgate. i. Now those men in Libya, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, they could care less what havoc they've wrecked upon the world. For I will contend with him who contends with you, The scope of these verses is to show that the return of the people of God out of their captivity, and the eternal redemption to be wrought out by Christ (of which that was a type), would be great occasions of joy to the church and great proofs of the tender care God has of the church. But Zion said, The LORD has forsaken me, 5 - 6 seem to distinguish the servant from . Partners In a New Creation / Lesson #5 Behold, I will lift up mine hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard to the people: and they shall bring their sons in their arms, and thy daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders. You always can block or delete cookies by changing your browser settings and force blocking all cookies on this website. Click to enable/disable _gat_* - Google Analytics Cookie. The LORDs affection for His people is greater than the devotion a woman has for her nursing child. They say, "The area that we have is too small." He will crush the Babylonians in a judgment suited to the cruel oppression that they inflicted on their helpless victims (25-26).Other Jews blamed God for their troubles, as if he had cast them off like a husband who divorces his wife or a father who sells his children to pay off his debts. He was crucified. (l) "pauperum suorum", V. L. "pauperes suos", Forerius; "inopes suos", Vitringa; "humiles", Sept. "mansuetorum", Targum. This is the third of our four lessons from Isaiah in our set of reflections on humanity's participation in God's new creation. Isaiah, A Study Guide - From The Executable Outlines Series by Mark A. Copeland - Hundreds of free sermon outlines and Bible study materials available for online browsing and downloading. 3 He said to me, "Israel, you are my servant; See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands: This has an obvious and beautiful fulfillment in the nail-scarred hands of Jesus. They shall bring your sons in their arms, I. That You should be My salvation to the ends of the earth. But even they shall be taken away. The "mountain" (Isaiah 13:2) is discussed in Notes and Commentary on Isaiah 2:1-5. Your walls are continually before Me. Well, actually, you can drive from one side of Israel to the other in two hours; you can drive from one end to the other in six hours. Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted. [When you make] the commitment of your life to Jesus Christ without reservation, then you can go to meet your mountains and meet obstacles in Jesus not to meet them outside Him, but in Christ. Now He speaks here about the fact that He's going to bring them back again. There is no exception in that great, but little word, all. e. I will make each of My mountains a road: The mountains in the way of the returning exiles both in near and far fulfillment would seem to defeat the purpose of the LORD. Read online Bible study, search parallel bibles, cross reference verses, compare translations & post comments in bible commentaries at qBible.com. I have spent my strength for nothing, and in vain: yet surely my judgment is with the LORD, and my work with my God ( Isaiah 49:4 ). Zion believes, The LORD has forsaken me, and my Lord has forgotten me.. The Lord called me before my birth; from within the womb he called me by name. * [ 49:3 ] Israel : the servant is identified with the people of Israel as their ideal representative; however, vv. - The Burden against Babylon. He is a person that has revealed himself to us that we may know him and the power of his resurrection (Phil 3:10). The Lord called me to serve him. These cookies collect information that is used either in aggregate form to help us understand how our website is being used or how effective our marketing campaigns are, or to help us customize our website and application for you in order to enhance your experience. Yet I will not forget you. This represents the choices and lifestyle a person accepts as well as calling attention to the . was like a sharp sword. Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The LORD hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name. And to restore the preserved ones of Israel; The Lord ( Yehovah) hath forsaken me, and my Lord ( Adonai) hath forgotten me. Changes will take effect once you reload the page. 16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me. Gods blessing will seem to come from nowhere. See Special Topic at 41:2. Behold, I was left alone; these, where had they been? For the LORD has comforted His people, But Zion said, The LORD has forsaken me, The LORD has forsaken me, and my Lord has forgotten me., Surely they may forget, yet I will not forget you, See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands, Your sons shall make haste. [2.] He will receive the worship and honor He deserves, because He is the chosen of the LORD. To raise up the tribes of Jacob, Isaiah 42:10-13). This chapter is full of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the words quoted could not possibly have their complete fulfillment in any other save in our Savior. This week, we're looking more closely at "daughter Zion's" restoration to motherhood. Once more God promises the return of the captive Jews to their homeland. How, why, and when did Satan fall from heaven? God's people are the blessings and ornaments of the world, and therefore let there be universal joy, for God has comforted his people that were in sorrow and he will have mercy upon the afflicted because of his compassion, upon his afflicted because of his covenant. New Revised Standard Version and Student Study Handout for Isaiah 9:2-7 International Bible Lesson "For a child has been born for us, a son given to us; authority rests upon his shoulders; and he is named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace" (Isaiah 9:6NRSV). Beg your pardon, I jumped. The rest of Isaiah 49 and Isaiah 50 will answer this question. We provide you with a list of stored cookies on your computer in our domain so you can check what we stored. And those who swallowed you up will be far away. There I was, left alone; but these, where were they? But these, where were they? Israel will return and rebuild its homeland. When the Servant completes His work of salvation, the whole creation, not just humankind, will experience liberation from the effects of the Fall (cf. Check to enable permanent hiding of message bar and refuse all cookies if you do not opt in. This is rejoicing over deliverance from sin, not just exile. As the prophet spoke, he called on nature, personified, to rejoice (on the mountains rejoicing see 44:23). Note that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience on our websites and the services we are able to offer. God Foretells Destruction / Isaiah 47.10 - 15. You can also change some of your preferences. The history that is there in the land goes back.Now there are those who see an interesting scenario arising in the Middle East right now. All rights reserved. That is in Christ, he was a man who was governed by God. 1. God says, "It's all right, but I still won't. Isaiah III, Volume 2: Chapters 49-55: 454: HCOT: 1998: WorldCat Amazon CBD. What is the highway of holiness (Isaiah 35:8)? He calls not only Israel to hear His voice, but the coastlands (islands) and distant peoples because His message is for all mankind. And it is equivalent to Revelation 7:16 . The whole problem that we're having here with inflation, our whole problem of economy is based to the increased oil prices. A mother, especially, cannot but be concerned for her own child; for it is her own, a piece of herself, and very lately one with her. Shall go away from you. Let the whole creation join with us in songs of joy, for it shares with us in the benefits of the redemption, and all they can contribute to this sacred melody is little enough in return for such inestimable favours, Psalms 96:11. A nursing mother, most of all, cannot but be tender of her sucking child; her own breasts will soon put her in mind of it if she should forget it. The whole world will know it, and of course, God tells us in that day that He destroys the invading Russian army with her allies shall the whole world know that I am God. Behold, I will lift My hand in an oath to the nations, To those who are in darkness, Show yourselves. What is a plumb line in the Bible? How Daniels Prophecy of 70 Weeks Connects to the End Times. They bring together all the relevant aids to exegesis - linguistic, textual, archaeological, historical, literary, and theological - to help the reader understand the meaning of the books of the Old and New Testaments. This is the reason why Isaiah describes the advantages of this deliverance in such lofty terms, in order that believers, though they beheld nothing around them but death and ruin, might sustain their heart by the hope of a better condition. Notice it says eachmountain (or, as in the King James Version, all mountains). God now shows that for him this is impossible (14-16). Isaiah 49 reminds us that God's deep and abiding love for God's world is just too enormous to be limited to just one kind of person or people. of Because of their captivity in Babylon, Zion wonders Does God really care about us? God will answer, with strength and insight, this question that many have asked since. That's pretty smart. I will also give You as a light to the Gentiles, We see his calling, his mission, his faithfulness, and His protection. He referred to this Servant earlier (Isaiah 42:1-9), but now he reiterated and reinforced what he had revealed in preparation for further revelation about this key figure. This promise of salvation (49:8-12) leads into a rapturous eruption of praise and joy: "Shout for joy, you heavens; rejoice, you earth; burst into song, you mountains! Partners In a New Creation / Lesson #3 God's People Shall Prosper / Isaiah 49:14-23. This brings to mind in Revelation chapter 7, "And they shall hunger and thirst no more and neither shall the sun shine upon them and all." It is Best to Obey The Lord. "Thy builders shall make haste" (so some read it), "who shall build up thy houses, thy walls, especially thy temple; they shall do it with expedition." Not much. And if you look at it, it is a very small area. God has forsaken us." Servant's call; the second, on his confidence. 6-12. In the larger sense, it speaks of mercy and the provision of God for people as they return to Him in the last days, as they shall come from afar. Then I said, I have labored in vain, Salem Media Group. "He (Yahweh) said to me, 'You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will display my splendor'.". Free Online Commentary. The reality is that those who oppose the Lord and his people experience the self destructiveness of sin a recurring feature of the wars of the Lord. (Motyer), (c) 2021 The Enduring Word Bible Commentary by David Guzik ewm@enduringword.com. And the purpose is not to torment you, or because He hates you. Isaiah 51:1-11 Reassurance of Israel's Future. Listen, O coasts, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; For the LORD hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name. We are finishing up Isaiah 49 - with verses 18-23 - for Sunday, June 19. are without the yod or the conjunction vau before the verb: and so the Septuagint, Syriac, and Vulgate. Help us purchase electrical generators for churches. I am like a sharp arrow in his quiver. The glorious day of Israel's future when the kings of the earth come and pay their homage year by year. He has no physical hands, but this is poetic imagery that means he keeps us in his . The new commentaries continue this tradition. If you do that, then the mountain between you and Gods land of blessing becomes the way into it. (Redpath). Half a century ago the blackest spot upon the map of the world, but if you ask the watchman, "what of the night" that brooded on these islands, he answers from the watch-towers of Omniscience that it is gone! Click to enable/disable _gid - Google Analytics Cookie. They are dwelling there. God will show His strength and love for Zion by giving unto Babylon what Babylon gave unto Zion, even though they thought it unlikely, as shown by the question of Isaiah 49:24. i. Since these providers may collect personal data like your IP address we allow you to block them here. 5/8/2015 In today's lesson, God promises a multitude of children to Israel through faith. The Servant's assignment is to restore Jacob/Israel to a right relationship with the Lord, to bring them back from the exile of sin as well as the Babylonian exile (49: . In Isaiah 49 the Messiah speaks towards the end of His ministry of salvation going also to the Gentiles: Listen, O coast lands, to Me, and take heed, you . What does Isaiah 49:1-13 mean? You shall surely clothe yourselves with them all as an ornament, This probably has reference to the hidden years of Jesus, when He lived in obscurity, as a polished shaft waiting in the quiver of the LORD. Isaiah now announced more about the work of the Servant (cf. While some might need to brandish a weapon to show their authority, the Messiah needs only to speak. A woman may perhaps be so unhappy as not to be able to remember her sucking child (she may be sick, and dying, and going to the land of forgetfulness), or she may be so unnatural as not to have compassion on the son of her womb, as those who, to conceal their shame, are the death of their children as soon as they are their life, Lamentations 4:10; Deuteronomy 28:57.

How To Uninstall Silk Browser On Firestick, Articles I

wild health test resultsWhatsApp Us