greensboro city council candidates 2021

LATOYA BERNICE GATHERS: There are not enough affordable housing options in my neighborhood. Ultimately, this motion did not pass through City Council. I am a small business owner and executive director for Triad Local First, a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting locally-owned independentbusinesses. WGHP attempted to ask five uniform questions of every candidate on the ballot. Chief [Brian] James was a tremendous asset to this city, and we need to provide the new chief with the tools and funds to help improve and maintain public safety. MAYORAL CANDIDATE ERIC ROBERT ANNOUNCES HE HAS UNCOVERED DOCUMENTS SUPPORTING ALLEGATIONS OF MALFEASANCE AND POTENTIAL CIVIL CONSPIRACY ON THE PART OF CURRENT GREENSBORO MAYOR NANCY VAUGHAN, COLISEUM DIRECTOR MATT BROWN AND CITY ATTORNEY CHUCK WATTS. I do have to ask one question: How has Kennedy stayed out of federal prison? We were unable, because of legal reasons, to share with the public what was going on between the city and his family. Every current council member is part of the sham. Ten candidates filed to run in the at-large City Council race, including the three incumbents: City Councilmembers Yvonne Johnson, Marikay Abuzuaiter and Hugh Holston. We have other pressing issues, homelessness, crime, police policy are just three that also need immediate attention. After attending City Academy in 2017 I knew that I could bring new ideas and the drive to move our city forward. I bring a network of relationships in many areas with me and continue to build that network out in order to better understand issues that face people in District 2, and ways we can address them from City Council. Specifically, in District 2, those undeveloped and overlooked neighborhoods are predominantly low-income and communities of color, specifically Black and Latino. Matheny and current Mayor Nancy Vaughan devised the plan to finance the Tanger Center for the Performing Arts using parking and ticket fees, not general fund dollars, for the citys share of that public-private partnership. District 5 City Councilmember Tammi Thurm is one of the more liberal members of an all-Democratic and very liberal City Council. All while appeasing developers and the new city manager that wants to build multifamily on an empty piece of land. Invest in green workforce development to provide employment and job training opportunities for union workers and workers from underrepresented communities. We interviewed our tech expert, Jaime Vazquez, to learn more about accessible smart home devices. I have been inside those homes. Furman, who is running for a set on the council in the next election, scheduled for March 2022, is a member of the Minimum Housing Standards Commission. I have heard the voices and cries of the community. . Sweeping bans hinder economic growth. There should be no one left behind. I will demand, and on the council will demand a RUCO 2 revision. 2021- Supported $243k for SrFFs and Engineers; 2022- Played a key role in increasing compensation for firefighters in crafting the FY22-23 budget cycle; . Like, get GPD pay up on par with where it should be as the third largest agency in NC; getting GPD a real take home car program; have retention bonuses and anything else they can come up with to stop the exodus. Over my four terms astheDistrict 3representative, we were able to provide numerous positive impacts for the greater community including public safety initiatives and economic development, all while keeping a level tax rate. Both would provide some needed diversity of opinion on the very liberal City Council. Fear brings violence and a lack of empathy. We cant win with a trickle-down approach. https://www.rhinotimes.com/news/police-stop-on-greenway-may-lead-to-city-council-work-session/. Any proposal put forth by Outling is not taken up by the mayor. 21-2-134. I think its important that if you want to be considered that youre prepared to tell us why we should support you at the City Council meeting.. Over the last 10 years I have had the honor of collaborating with my colleagues on many initiatives and endeavors. The original Rhinoceros Times, founded in 1991, went out of business in May 2013. Wells often talks about the need for economic development in East Greensboro, but then votes against the rezoning requests that would allow that development. Rossabi has also made good use of that time by familiarizing herself with the ins and outs of city government. We must keep the momentum going with smart investments into our community, ensuring that the recent wins are wins for all residents of Greensboro, not just some. Rather than do some hybrid election calendar, the city decided to adopt this schedule. BILL MARSHBURN: I do not wish another review. Filter by Office. I understand the time commitment of holding office, and I understand how important this city is to my family which is one reason I want to do everything in my power to provide the best community not just for my family, but for all families in the Triad. Evan -Metro 911 center is run by the city not the county. Every vote is needed to rid of our current council who have no accountability or concerns of how our tax dollars are spent. {{start_at_rate}} {{format_dollars}} {{start_price}} {{format_cents}} {{term}}, {{promotional_format_dollars}}{{promotional_price}}{{promotional_format_cents}} {{term}}, Nebraska cheerleader competes by herself at state competition, but crowd doesn't let her feel alone, Police identify victim who died Wednesday in Greensboro's 11th homicide of 2023, William Sturkey: Chapel Hill trustees 'hellbent' on winning campus culture wars, Rob Schofield: North Carolinas chronic public employee shortage wasnt an accident, KFC is bringing back a fan favorite after a nearly 10-year hiatus, Richard Groves: What the 'He Gets Us' media campaign says about the decline of Christianity, Two Things: Victim's family not surprised by no show; hospital wars in Greensboro and money well spent, Mark Elliott and Jeremy Rinker: Budget reductions at UNCG punish it for serving disadvantaged students, Samet on jail project: Guilford County officials 'acted improperly' during bid process, Former Page High School teacher arrested on child sex charges, records show, Proposed rules for Airbnb, other short-term rentals advance in Greensboro, 'A bizarre case': Greensboro TikTok star found not guilty in fatal 2019 crash, Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist proposes community hospital in Greensboro, Greensboro police officer involved in confrontation on Golden Gate Drive resigns, Jaydon Young's lessons of sacrifice mix with two-hour transfer, Virginia Tech and 2023 tournament, 'Paused': Demolition of old Guilford County jail is on hold, but no one is saying why, Greensboro sewage facility hit with $70,000 in fines, Guilford passes new rules to ensure more minorities, women get contracts, Moscow reportedly threatened new parents in Ukraine: Register your newborns as Russian or else, The impact of climate change will be felt worse in these three U.S. cities, Scientists reveal hidden corridor in Great Pyramid of Giza, Greece train crash: Public anger grows as death toll rises. Posted by John Hammer | May 4, 2022 | News. Improving our transportation system so we can be a hop on hop off city. That resonates the same whether referring to increased taxes, or messed up policies. You suggest that he is unwilling to be supportive of the police when it goes against the tide, but I recall him voting for a supportive federal grant for the police when the council voted against it for political reasons. CECILE CC CRAWFORD: At various points in my life, I have found myself where many residents currently find themselves: navigating the challenges of parenthood, serious illness, or the struggles to earn a livable wage. We were following the law. Local governments should rely on supply and demand and assess each project individually. The Board of County Commissioners unanimously approved its first official Minority Women Business Enterprise (MWBE) policy and procedure manual. Lastly, I would wish for better. I really want to put a Ferris wheel downtown as a major city attraction. There was a problem saving your notification. CECILE CC CRAWFORD: What happened to Marcus Smith [who died in police custody] should never have happened. Weve made great progress, but we have so much more to do! The secretive attempt boldly labeled a public document CONFIDENTIAL DOCUMENT NOT FOR PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBUTION The District 3 City Council candidates are Chip Roth, former District 3 City Councilmember Zack Matheny and Bill Marshburn. Readers of The Rhino Times will be able to rely on rhinotimes.com for daily coverage and opinions of Greensboro while gaining insider access to important Guilford County work sessions and events. Roth worked for the International Brotherhood of Teamsters for 31-years, rising to communications director under Teamster President Jim Hoffa. I have also served in various leadership roles in community organizations allowing me to create the experience necessary to listen and lead while building a better Greensboro. Remember who broke it when you vote. PORTIA SHIPMAN: Iam running because I know that I can genuinely make a difference in the lives of all of the residents in District 2. For dire I am so disillusioned with the leaders of Greensboro that I will do one of two things. Ten candidates have filed to run for an at-large seat on the Greensboro City Council, and the top six candidates will be on the ballot for the July 26 general election. Matheny was an active and effective city councilmember when he served. After watching I now know more and feel more confident that he is our best choice for next mayor. But Kennedy said at the time that her experience in housing the homeless as director of the Interactive Resource Center made the job a logical step in her career and that the position was open to anybody who wanted to apply. Many of the things you are asking for he has committed to push for if elected mayor. If 911 is a county service, then what does the City council have to do with it? I have lived in this district for 21 years and I look forward to representing all members of this community. The Citys actions took their livelihoods away while doing nothing to combat violent crime in our city as we have now the highest crime rate in the nation for a municipality our size.. Get the Android Weather app from Google Play, Tom Sizemore, Saving Private Ryan actor, dies at, Man hit, killed in W-S on Peters Creek Parkway: police, Prayer against violence event happening in W-S Saturday, Search underway for driver after NC children almost, Potential for damaging winds as storms roll through, WATCH: Snowboarder escapes narrowly avalanche, Storms to sweep through NC, isolated tornado possible, DCs cherry blossoms are confused, arriving early, WWE Monday Night Raw is coming to Greensboro, A sweet tradition at First Presbyterian Church, How the North Carolina Zoo is introducing their lions, NC family bakes bread to help earthquake victims, Bojangles giving away free sausage biscuits on Friday, Swing State with Mark Walker & Odell Cleveland, SCOTUS asks to be briefed about whats going on with, Michael Steele on Marjorie Taylor Greene: Just shut, North Carolina bills aim to protect cultural regalia, Fla. bill would make bloggers register, face fines, Federal workers told to delete TikTok from devices, Thomas Martens, Molly Corbett trial moved to Forsyth, Some fear Nazi banners, power grid attack connected, Video about NC substation attack shared in Md plot, FBI offering $25k for info for NC substation attacks, HPU fires head mens basketball coach G.G. Also filing to run in the at-large race are Katie Rossabi, Linda Wilson, Tracy Furman, Taffy L. Buchanan, Fanca Jalloh, Dustin Keene and Melodi Fentress. Outling then easily won election to a two-year term in 2015 and a four-year term in 2017. : police, Guilford school board bill grows in Senate committee, Robinson to deliver GOP rebut to State of State, Measure aims to nix literacy test from NC Constitution, Robinson: NC is destination state for death, NC could help families in fight against corporate, NC lawmakers to vote on sports betting bill this, VIDEO: NC students almost hit by car passing school, Chick-fil-A data breach; special directions in NC, Keep an eye out for hellbender, mudpuppy salamanders, Man sentenced to 10-13 years in W-S murder, drug, Ft. Bragg soldier charged in romance, COVID scams, 4 arrested after chase from WS to Kernersville: WSPD, Woman charged for Chewy warehouse bomb threat, Residents pleading after 105 accidents on 1 NC road, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. I think the experience and the successful results of my leadership in the past equipped me for the task. What a high wire act that is. Four candidates have filed to run in the mayoral race: Mayor Nancy Vaughan, District 3 Councilmember Justin Outling, Eric Robert and Mark Timothy Cummings. Some diversity of opinion on the City Council would make it a much better governing body. That makes a lot of sense to me (especially given the fact that 911 is a county service and not a city one or part of the police force). Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device. However, the way the City Council implemented this had the unwanted effect of experienced workers with decades on the job being paid less for their years of service than new hires. Tony Wilkins for Greensboro City Council 2021 However, City Attorney Chuck Watts doesnt see a problem with Matheny serving as both a city councilmember and president of DGI. The two other candidates on the ballot, Eric Robert and Mark Cummings, havent raised or spent much money and dont have the name recognition to compete without a major advertising campaign. Tuesdays meeting to select the next council member will be held virtually and each candidate will sign up and speak to council members through a video connection. Im ready to give Outling a chance at setting the priorities of the council. Only in District 4, where 11-year incumbent Nancy Hoffman is facing Thurston H. Reeder Jr., is there no need for a primary. Contact Richard M. Barron at 336-373-7371 and follow @BarronBizNR on Twitter. There were no answers from the three candidates for District 1, although incumbent Sharon Hightower did respond to the email to say she wouldnt be participating. However, the bad ones make it hard on those who genuinely care. Former District 5 City Councilmember Tony Wilkins and Robert Bodenhamer also filed to run for the District 5 seat. We chose to follow the law. We need to develop creative housing solutions to improve affordability and mobility throughout the city. Matheny served as the District 3 city councilmember from 2007 to 2015, when he resigned to accept the position of president of Downtown Greensboro Inc. (DGI). The City of Greensboro is governed by a Council-Manager form of government. Bans that are too broad stifle economic growth. Connor Perrett. Dont vote for who the TV tells you to vote for. I am running because I want people who are just trying to make it, to have a seat at the table when decisions are being made about the citys priorities. District 3 is considered one of the more conservative council districts and had always been represented by a white Republican, but Outling, a black Democrat, has won by wide margins in both elections. Fostering relationships in our community by encouraging events that include police invitations will help to build more trust as well. Ph: (336) 763-4170 Lets show folks what our city is capable of, not because we are reacting to controversary, but rather we are visioning for our future. DUSTIN KEENE: While there are many issues facing our city, I believe affordable housing may be the biggest. Fax: (336) 763-2585, P.O. At the time, the city attorney advised Matheny that he would have to resign before he could become president of DGI because it is funded by the city. She was first elected to the City Council representing District 4 in 1997 and served until 2001, when she took a break, and then was elected as an at-large city councilmember in 2009, serving until 2013. The participation and representation of all citizens in democratic institutions and processes is essential to democracy. Local government should trust in supply and demand and evaluate each project on its own merit. He came to Greensboro to attend UNCG, graduated with a degree in economics and went on to get an MBA at Elon University. Vote for anyone other than these clowns already in charge. Vaughan defeated incumbent Mayor Robbie Perkins in 2013, was reelected without much difficulty in 2015, and then reelected in 2017 for a four-year term. But the announcement of the Toyota battery plant coming to the Greensboro-Randolph Megasite and Boom Supersonic coming to the Piedmont Triad International Airport has turned the tables and given Vaughan a campaign issue. BILL MARSHBURN: The austerity to come. The winners of the primary are almost certainly going to be Mayor Nancy Vaughan and District 3 City Councilmember Justin Outling. There is no need for him to wait until he is mayor to make a motion or propose a change. Working for Doctors Without Borders allowed me to hone a variety of abilities that would serve me well on the council. Housing is another problem. If they hadnt torn it apart, it wouldnt need building back! He went to the police for help and paid with his life. City Council candidates listed below in order of filing. Guided By Experience: A Comparative Analysis of the U.S. Military Responses to Natural Disasters in Haiti (2010 & 2021) Dec 2021 - Mar 2022 Article for the 2022 spring issue of the Journal of .

Rodney Wright Architect, Articles G

wild health test resultsWhatsApp Us